Friday, June 19, 2009

Stopping a vehicle by the road

To park a car somewhere
A general word to mean stopping a car or a vehicle someplace:

- when I came back, a police car was parked in front of my truck.
- Driving up to London, I saw many cars parked at the side the road.

To pull in somewhere

1.To stop the car in a specific area.

- The police car pulled in behind me .
- Jeff parked in front of the house and I pulled in beside him.

2.To move towards the curb into a lay-by.

- I Pulled in to the parking lot.
- He pulled into the garage.

To pull over somewhere
To drive to the side of the road
1- because you suddenly need to stop.


- I pulled over,unable to stop myself from going to sleep.
- Hearing noises from the engine,he pulled over to see what's wrong with it.

2- because you have been told to stop, for example by the police.

- We got pulled over for speeding.
- The police pulled him over for speeding.

3-to let another car or vehicle pass.

- The car pulled over when the ambulance approached at high speed.
- A car came at high speed behind me and flashed me to pull over .

To pull off the road
To stop the vehicle at the side of the road.

- I pulled off the road at a small village pub.
- One evening,crossing a small creek,he pulled the car off the road.

To pull up somewhere
To stop a car somewhere often for a short time.

- I pulled up my car in front of a house to go shopping and came back half an hour later.
- We pulled up outside a shop,bought drinks and drove on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment