Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wish structures

There are different structures with wish which are sometimes confused by learners.
In this post I explain " wish structures" and clear up their differences & usages in a sentence.

1- Wish + would: I wish (that) she would study harder .
The wish is used when you now expect someone to do your requested thing and you are worried,angry and disappointed because they have not done it already but (in cases)still there is a probability to happen.

The continuous form is also possible:
- I wish she would be cleaning the house .
- I wish he would be repairing my car soon.

2-Wish + would+ present perfect: I wish (that) she would've studied harder .
This is an informal structure which means the same as above.

3- Wish + simple past: I wish (that) she studied harder.
This use of wish is when you expect an event to happen NOW ,although you know that it is unlikely or impossible to realize .

Other forms of the structure
- I wish I had more time for the exam.

- I wish I were an actor.
- I wish I could be an actor.

4- Wish + past perfect:I wish (that) she had studied harder.
This form is used for a wish that is impossible to happen.
You expected someone to have studied harder in the PAST,but they didn't.
For example,you expected her to have studied harder to pass the test,but she didn't and failed and now you say the wish.

5- I wished (that) I had studied harder.
In this form,the tense of wish not" that clause" is past.While in the above structures the tense is present.The form is used in a sentence like this:

- When I was a child ,I wished I could have driven my father's car.
- In the past , many people wished they had had wings to fly.

5- Wish + to infinitive:I wish you to study harder.
Wish + infinitive means " want"In this sense is very formal.

-
We wish to see the president,please.
-
I wish you attend my party tonight.

Notice that in the sentences 1-4 that is dropped in the informal usage.

Incorrect forms which you must avoid:

Simple present
I wish he studies his lessons .

Present perfect
I wish he has studied his lessons

0 comments:

Post a Comment