Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Connect to vs. Connect with

Connect to means to join or be joined with something else .

1- Connect something to something else:

- The bone broke just where the thigh connects to the knee.
- He asked to be connected to the central switchboard.
- I connected the parts of my computer to each other.

2- Connect something to the main supply of electricity, gas, water or to the telephone network.

- Where does the cooker connect the electricity?
- I connected the keyboard to the computer.
- Please connect the fridge to the electricity supply.

Connect with means :
1- To consider or show a person or thing to be related to someone or something else.

-
There's little evidence to connect them with the attack.
- I am not connected with the clothing trade at all.
- Nothing could connect him with the robberies.

2- To think of different things or people as having a relationship to each other.

- I hope he would not connect me with that now-embarrassing review I'd written two years ago.
- People connect Vienna with Waltz and coffee- houses.

Related subject
Connect to vs. Connect up to

0 comments:

Post a Comment