Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ing form vs. Infinitive

I remembered to fill out the form. = I remembered that I was to fill out the form and then did so .
I remembered filling out the form. = I remembered that I had filled out the form.

I forgot to go to the bank.=I forgot that I was to go to the bank and therefore did not do so.
I forgot (about) going to the bank-rare without about.=I forgot that I went to the bank or …that I should have gone.

I regret to tell you that john stole it.= I regret that I ‘m about to tell you that john stole it.
I regret telling you that john stole it. = I regret that I told you that john stole it or that I am now telling you.

Sheila tried to bribe the jailer.=Sheila attempted an act of bribing but did not manage it
Sheila tried bribing the jailer.=Sheila actually did bribe the jailer but without necessarily achieving what she wanted.

Brian loathed to live in the country.= Brian could exercise choice about where to live.
Brian loathed living in the country.= Brian actually did live in the country and probably had no choice.
With would loath, the infinitive is just as acceptable as the ing participle.

Ali stopped to eat his sandwich. = Ali stopped in order to eat his sandwich.
Ali stopped eating his sandwich. = Ali didn't eat his sandwich any longer.

I hate the clock to chime just when I’m going to sleep. (a single chime)
I hate the clock chiming all night long. (a continual chiming)

- Bob went on talking about his new job until the light went out.(Continue)
- Bob stopped talking about his new job and went on to tell us about his future plans.(Change of activity)

- If you want to get the job, it will mean wasting your time.(To involve,To result in sth)
- If you mean to get the job, it will involve not to waste your time.( intend)

- Continue to do something' suggests you have first stopped as in: We stopped when we heard the explosion and after that we continued to work.
- Continue doing something' suggests you don't stop but carry on with what you were doing as in: We heard the explosion but still continued working.

0 comments:

Post a Comment