Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Even if vs. Even though

Even if and Even though seem to be the same but they are in fact different in meaning and usage.
As a matter of fact ,this two conjuctions are if and though.Addition of even before them doesn't change the meaning of though but changes the meaning of if.

Even if
As is is used to say that something will not have any effect on a situation,It could mean whether or not.As if introduces a conditional clause.

- He's going to buy the farm even if they raise the price.
- Even you'll take a taxi,you 'll miss your train.
- Even ih I had talent to play tennis, I couldn't stand the pressure.

Even though
Even though means although but is a stronger form of the word and makes the other main statement surprising and it introduces a contrast clause.

- Even though I'm supposed to be working by myself,there are other people who I can interact with.
- Even though he left school at 16,he still managed to become prime minister.
- I used to love listening to her,even though I could only understand only half of what she said.

To understand better the difference between even if and even though note the following comparison:

Example 1

- His mother has promised him a bike him even if he doesn't promises to study harder.
- His mother has promised him a bike him even though he will not promise to study harder.

The first sentence means that his mother will buy him a bike whether or not he promises to study harder.
The second sentence,whereas ,indicates that he will not promise to study harder,he still receives the bike.

Example 2

- She wears a fur coat even if it is a hot day.
- She wears a fur coat even though it is/will /may be a hot day.

The first example implies that if it happens to be hot, she wears the fur coat.
The second one signifies that she already knows it is hot, she still wears the fur coat.

Even if usually means that an event has not happened or has not realized yet.
Even though could mean that in spite of the fact that the event has happened or will happen.

In the sentence with even if speaker doesn't know whether the event will happen or not, he or she,however, will do the action.
In the sentence with even though speaker knows the event has happened or will happen, he or she still does the action.

Example 3

- I will ask my friend the math question even if he doesn't know the answer.
- I will ask my friend the math question even though he will not/may not know the answer .

In the first sentence, speaker says I will ask the question whether or not my friend knows the answer. The second one , whereas , speaker means I know that my teacher doesn't know the answer, but I will ask the question.

Notice that even if acts like the if conditional structures and usually doesn't take the modals but the even though clauses can come with the modals as shown in the instances.

For additional information about even though click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment