Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tell vs. Let someone know vs. Put someone onto

The verbs and expressions mean to give someone facts or information by speaking to them or writing to them.

Tell
- I told him I got a raise yesterday.
- My father told me all the details of my mother's death.
- She didn't tell me where she was going to go.


Let someone know
To tell someone something/some information.

Let some one know something - Let me know your new address.
Let someone know if/whether- Please let me know if/whether you decid to leave.
Let someone know (that)- When he left the country for ever, I let his mother know that he would never come back.
Let someone know where/what/when/why...- Her brother tried to let her know why he changed his mind.Let him know when you buy the cay.

Put someone onto
To introduce a person to something or someone that could bring them an advantage or an useful thing.

- David put me onto a wonderful vegetarian cookery book.
- Can you put me onto (= tell me where to find) a good dentist?
- The elastic is a powerful varity which a friend in the clothing trade put me onto.

0 comments:

Post a Comment