Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Present vs. Current

Present and Current mean existing or happening now.They can be interchanged in many occasions. When using them,however, consider the following tips.

Current suggests a situation that exists now but the speaker may not expect it to last for a long time ,it may be temporarily.

-
The factory cannot continue its current level of production
- Many experts believe that the current recession will not continue for a long time.
-
The current agreement ends on November 22.
-
I can't get on with my my current boyfriend.
- I'm about to loss my current job because of the economic crisis.

Notice that using boyfriend and job with present is not common.

In addition, we can use current while talking about the past:
The then-current fashion item was the miniskirt.

Present is not possible in the same way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment